FASTRACK is a subway maintenance, cleaning, and repair program that shuts down segments of a subway line for several hours over consecutive weeknights or weekend days, allowing our employees to perform a number of critical maintenance jobs. The line shutdown approach has proven successful in that, under normal conditions in our 24/7 system, the scope and breadth of this important work would be impossible to accomplish with customers and trains moving through work areas. Thus far, since FASTRACK began in 2012, the results have had a positive impact on service with a reduction in train delays and a decrease in the number of track fires, while realizing cost efficiencies and a lower accident rate for employees.
FASTRACK tasks typically include:
• Track – remove debris and repair or replace tie blocks and running rails.
• Third Rail Operations – clean and remove debris from under and around the third rail.
• Signals – perform general maintenance on signals and switches and replace dispatcher holding lights.
• Infrastructure – repair or replace handrails, signs, and tunnel lighting. Clean track drains and repair water damage/leaks.
• Electronic Maintenance – optimize performance of closed-circuit television monitors and cameras. Inspect and test public address system equipment.
• Station Environment – perform high-intensity station cleaning and painting as well as perform elevator and escalator repair work. Clean vents and drains.
Get the schedule of partial-line closures for the remainder of 2014, click here.
back to top
There will be no service at 6 Av stations: 14 St, 23 St, 34 St-Herald Sq, 42 St-Bryant Pk,
47-50 Sts, and 57 St
and trains are rerouted to the 8 Av line.
and service ends early in Manhattan each night.
FASTRACK begins weeknights at 10PM and ends 5AM the next morning.
This service change will run from March 10 - 14 nightly, ending Friday morning.
Read on for more information.
• Use 8 Av stations to connect with and trains.
• For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, transfer between sections at B’way-Lafayette St to continue your trip.
• Take the for service to/from Lexington Av/63 St, Roosevelt Island, and 21 St-Queensbridge.
• Transfer between and trains at 42 St-Port Authority/Times Sq-42 St, through the passageway.
How will trains run during this service change?
Trains are rerouted and operate in two sections:
1. Between 205 St and the 2 Av station:
Via between 145 St and W 4 St
and via to/from 2 Av, the last stop.
2. Between Stillwell Av and the W 4 St station:
W 4 St is the last stop for trains originating in Brooklyn.
Trains run via the between W 4 St and Roosevelt Av, in both directions.
• For service to Lexington Av/63 St, Roosevelt Island, and 21 St-Queensbridge, take the .
Service is extended to 21 St-Queensbridge via the after 57 St-7 Av.
• Trains run to/from Lexington Av/63 St, Roosevelt Island, and 21 St-Queensbridge, the last stop.
• Coney Island-bound service originates at 21 St-Queensbridge.
and service ends early each night (times are approximate):
• Manhattan-bound service in Brooklyn and Queens ends at 9:30 PM.
• Service in Manhattan is available until 10 PM.
back to top
When stations close for FASTRACK, use these nearby stations & services
Other changes to service may affect your trip. Please consult Service Change Directories or visit mta.info to use TripPlanner+.
back to top