14001 Certified Environmental Management System
The MTA New York City Transit's Department of Capital Program Management (CPM) is committed to the highest quality design, construction management, and renovation of MTA New York City Transit's train, bus and ancillary facilities. Mass transportation is and always has been the most important element in the development, economic growth and sustainability of cities. MTA New York City Transit (NYCT), in addition to making New York City as sustainable a city as possible, has been incorporating sustainable elements into the engineering and construction of its capital construction and rehabilitation projects for many years.
Since 1999, CPM has established, implemented, and maintained an Environmental Management System (EMS), certified under the ISO 14001 EMS Standard. This EMS provides a disciplined framework within which CPM fulfills its environmental responsibilities and continually improves environmental performance. The safety of our customers, neighbors, employees, consultants and contractors and the protection of the environment are among the highest priorities of New York City Transit. As we strive to create a better built environment for generations to come we are sharing our values within and beyond our organization.
In this endeavor, we will:
- Adhere to applicable environmental laws and regulations, in addition to our voluntary environmental commitments.
- Exercise utmost diligence in order to minimize or, if possible, remove adverse environmental effects our projects might have on employees, contractors, customers, communities where our projects are located, and on the global environment.
- Consider actual and potential environmental aspects and impacts of our operations and activities at all stages of our projects.
- Set EMS objectives and targets, and review them periodically to enhance our EMS and environmental performance.
- Establish environmental procedures and programs that include: preventing pollution, conserving resources, and practicing sustainable development amidst continuing climate change.
- Document, implement, and maintain our EMS, and convey our EMS and environmental policy to all CPM employees, to others working on our behalf, and to the public.
- Enhance our employees’ skills to provide them with tools to design and build world-class economically, ecologically and socially sustainable projects.
- Share our experience and expertise with other MTA and City agencies, various public transportation groups and forums, and a wide range of communities; we will provide information through personal outreach, through our New York City Transit website, and through other mass media.
- Mentor and educate children and young adults in schools and universities about transportation, engineering, sustainability and environmental protection.
- Support the efforts of the MTA, New York City, and New York State regarding energy conservation, carbon footprint reduction, environmentally preferable procurement, waste minimization, water conservation, sustainable design and construction of facilities, recycling, transit-oriented development and climate adaptation.