Don't Take More Than You Can Handle
#1 cause of LIRR customer injuries is slips, trips and falls. Luggage is a contributing factor.
Luggage Do’s and Don’ts
- Travel light. Only bring luggage that you can comfortably carry by yourself.
- Allow enough time to board and exit the train safely.
- Store luggage properly on overhead racks, on your lap or under your seat.
- Lift your luggage as you step carefully over the gap between the train and the platform.
- Don’t bring more luggage than you can handle.
- The LIRR does not offer baggage handling service.
- Don’t take luggage on escalators. Instead, use elevators where available, or stairs.
- Don’t rush or run when carrying luggage on the platform or when boarding or exiting a train.
- Don’t create tripping hazards by placing luggage in train aisles or doorways.
When Traveling With Children:
- Ensure your child’s safety first.
- Hold your child’s hand while boarding and exiting the train.
Looking Out For Others:
- Be considerate; don’t let your luggage occupy a seat or block doors and vestibules.
- Lend a hand if you see someone with luggage who needs help entering or exiting the train.
The LIRR's Be TrainSmart "Don't Take More Than You Can Handle" safety campaign materials are available for viewing below in PDF format:
- Google Translate