Long Island - Getaway on Your Own
Long Island is Better than Ever!
Summer may be over, but there is still so much to do and see on Long Island. We have something for everyone - from wine tasting to coastal sightseeing to designer bargain shopping. And our packages deals and tours will save you money too!
Only a 50-minute train ride from Penn Station, Long Beach offers fall getaway opportunities that rival those of other seaside resorts. Take a walk along the newly restored and famous Long Beach boardwalk and then enjoy one of the many great restaurants and bars within walking distance or in the West end of town. It’s also a quick trip from Brooklyn’s Atlantic Terminal. Hourly train service to Long Beach provides a great opportunity for a quick getaway.
The summer crowds are gone, making the fall a great time to enjoy the Hamptons and Montauk. Great LIRR service to the Hamptons and Montauk continues in the fall with our express Montauk train leaving Penn Station every Friday at 4.07 PM with the first stop some 94 minutes later at Westhampton. In addition, the LIRR offers The Montauk Village & Golf Package to help customers discover the natural beauty at the tip of Long Island. Package includes discounted round-trip rail, taxi stubs to town, and a deals coupon with discounts at participating merchants. For golf lovers, a legendary course with ocean views is open 364 days of the year. Take advantage of our Montauk Village Package - offered daily (call 631-668-2428 for Montauk Chamber of Commerce information).
The LIRR now offers service to Greenport and the North Fork of Long Island through Thanksgiving weekend, allowing for seven additional weeks to enjoy the world renowned wineries and quaint villages that dot the picturesque landscape without having to worry about traffic or parking hassles. (And, in May, the LIRR will start train service three weeks earlier to take advantage of early spring.)
The New England-style villages of Riverhead, Mattituck, Southold and Greenport offer a relaxed, scenic escape and are home to a world-class wine region. Sample the fruits of the area on a winery tour; enjoy the shops, restaurants, and attractions. Extend your stay at one of the cozy Bed & Breakfasts or hotels.
- Visit North Fork Wineries any weekend. Go to www.liwines.com and click on "services" link for limousine/shuttles to arrange connection at North Fork LIRR Stations to travel to North Fork wineries and other tourist destinations.
- Riverhead Tanger Outlets, Daily. www.tangeroutlet.com/riverhead
- Long Island Aquarium, Riverhead, Daily. www.longislandaquarium.com
Other Events on Long Island
There are many other events and attractions on Long Island where visitors can "make a day their own getaway" with the LIRR. Here is a list of events currently suggested:
Long Island's 6th Annual Restaurant Week
Enjoy the best restaurants on Long Island for the bargain price of $24.95! For eight days, all participating restaurants are offering a three course prix fixed menu every night. Use link above for a list of participating restaurants.
- November 6 - 13, every night (Saturday until 7 PM)
- Various Nassau and Suffolk locations
- LIRR Schedules
- $24.95 per person (does not include tax and gratuities - 631-727-2870)
Annual Long Island Festival of Trees
A Long Island tradition, the festival includes displays of designer trees, wreaths, centerpieces, gingerbread and chocolate creations, all of which are for sale. On weekends, a vendor section is open for holiday purchases. Proceeds benefit Nassau County United Cerebral Palsy and the two museums.
- November 29- December 1, Friday - Saturday 9:30 AM - 6 PM, Sunday 9:30 AM - 5 PM
- Cradle of Aviation, Charles Lindberg Blvd, Garden City.
- Taxis available from the following LIRR stations: Garden City, Mineola, and Westbury. Take train to Hempstead and take LI Bus N16
- Admission $26 (516-378-2000, ext. 648)
The Sagtikos Manor was built in 1697, and expanded in 1772 and 1902. The estate served as headquarters for the British Army on Long Island for a brief time during the Revolutionary War. President George Washington stayed there during his tour of Long Island in 1790.
- West Bay Shore. Call for dates and times (631-854-0939)
- LIRR Schedules (Taxi 631-665-4800)
Seatuck Environmental Center
Encounter the wild world of Long Island in these unique programs designed for children ages 3-5 and at least one accompanying adult. Fun for the whole family waits as you explore Long Island's natural world!
- Various dates and times (631- 581-6908)
- Various locations in Suffolk County
For more travel ideas on Long Island visit:
- Discover Long Island
- Gold Coast Mansions/Historic LI
- Long Island Arts Alliance
- Long Island Events
- Long Island Wine Country
- LIRR NYC Getaways
- LIRR One-Day Getaways
- North Shore Heritage and Culture
Ways to Save on Train Travel
- Small groups of adults can save with LIRR Off-Peak Ten Trip tickets which offer 15% off fares and can be shared. These tickets are good for six months and are available at "Ticket" machines and offices.
- Groups of 30 or more can save with LIRR Group Rates, however smaller groups (15 or more) may also save by paying this rate for 30 people. Call 511, say LIRR, then "Group Travel" to make a reservation.
- Family Travel Tip: The LIRR Family Fare allows up to four children, ages 5-11, to travel for 75 cents each way on off-peak trains when accompanied by an adult; children under 5 ride free.
Enjoy your trip and thank you for riding the Long Island Rail Road.
- Google Translate