New LIRR fares take effect on Friday, March 1, 2013. On average, most commuter rail tickets will increase between 8.19% and 9.31%, depending on ticket type and distance traveled.
Specific ticket prices may be viewed here.
- Monthly tickets for March 2013, on sale at LIRR Ticket Windows and Ticket Machines starting February 20, will be priced at the new rate.
- Weekly tickets for March 2 - 8, on sale at LIRR Ticket Windows and Ticket Machines starting February 27, will be priced at the new rate.
- New Military Ticket: All Active Duty military personnel (with an authorized Active Duty ID) will be charged an off-peak fare at all times.
- Family Fare tickets will be accepted on PM peak trains with no step-up fee for children (ages 5-11) traveling with parents/guardians. Step-up fees will continue to be charged for Family Fare Tickets presented on morning peak trains. Family Fare tickets will cost $1 each way per child, whether bought at a station or onboard the train.
- CityTicket fare for one-way weekend travel within NYC will increase 25 cents to $4.00 starting March 2.
- LIRR WebTicket sales will not be available from February 10 through March 2, as we transition to the new fares. Customers are advised to purchase their tickets at LIRR Ticket Windows or Ticket Machines during this time.
MetroCard fares and values change effective March 3, 2013
- Fares for MTA NYC Transit subways and buses will increase on Sunday, March 3. The $4.50 and $20 MetroCard will not be available at LIRR Ticket Windows or Ticket Machines between February 26 and March 2 as we transition to the new $5 and $25 MetroCards. Customers can buy MetroCards at a subway booth during this time.
- Effective March 3, 2013, a $1.00 fee will be charged for each new MetroCard purchased at a commuter rail station, MetroCard Vending Machine or subway booth. You can avoid this fee by keeping and refilling your current MetroCard at any MVM or subway booth. The new $1.00 charge will NOT apply to customers who purchase a combination railroad/MetroCard ticket.