More Service Proposed on Ronkonkoma/Greenport & Port Washington Branches
The LIRR is planning to enhance train service on several branches starting with the new timetables effective Tuesday, September 3. The service improvements, including restoration of some of the reductions made in 2010, reflect the LIRR’s commitment to restore service based upon customer demand. The additional service is scheduled to take effect in three stages, starting with the September 3 timetable; then continuing in the timetable effective on November 11, 2013, with more enhancements planned to start in March 2014. The additional service is as follows:
September 3 - November 10 Timetable:
- Extend six existing weekend trains (three eastbound and three westbound) from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma to provide half-hourly service during high-volume weekend travel periods.
- Extend weekend service to and from Greenport by approximately 10 weeks, providing service starting in April and extending into November of each year - this year through November 10.
November 11 Timetable:
- Restore half-hourly weekend service on the Port Washington Branch
- Add a 4:09 PM peak train from Penn Station to Farmingdale, Monday through Friday
- Add a weekday evening train to Hicksville, departing Penn Station at 8:22 PM
- Add a westbound reverse peak train to Penn leaving Farmingdale at 7 PM
March 2014 Timetable:
- Restore the 4:37 PM weekday express train from Penn Station to Wantagh
- Restore the 5:03 PM weekday train from Penn Station to Freeport
Additional Labor Day Service
The LIRR will add service on the Friday before Labor Day and in advance of the Jewish High Holy Days. On Friday, August 30, we’ll be running 8 extra eastbound trains from Penn Station on the Babylon, Far Rockaway, Port Jefferson and Port Washington branches between 2:29 PM and 3:48 PM for customers getting a headstart on the Labor Day weekend. Some Labor Day weekend trains will have additional cars. On Wednesday, September 4, the start of Rosh Hashanah, we will operate the standard holiday eve trains from Penn Station starting at 2:29 PM. And on Friday, September 13, for those customers leaving early to observe Yom Kippur, there will also be eight additional trains from Penn Station between 2:29 PM and 3:48 PM.
New Penn Station Digital Screens Provide Latest Customer Info
As part of the LIRR’s continuing effort to improve customer communication, more than two dozen new state-of-the-art digital signs have been installed around the Penn concourse area, providing customers with brighter and sharper images, including some that show the latest train departures, schedule and track info. An electronic sign will also be installed outside of Penn at the 34th Street entrance. Most of the monitors normally display various advertisements; however, 11 of the screens also display LIRR-related track information. All the screens are used by the LIRR in the event of a service disruption to communicate with customers.
Public Hearing on Service Investments
The LIRR will hold a public hearing on the plan to restore half-hourly weekend service on the Port Washington Branch, and on the plan to extend weekend service between Greenport and Ronkonkoma for approximately 10 additional weekends each year. Customers are invited to attend the public hearing, scheduled for Tuesday, August 27 from 5 PM - 8 PM at the MTA Board Room, 347 Madison Avenue, 5th Floor, NY, NY. Registration for persons wishing to speak at the hearing will open at 4:30 PM. To pre-register to speak at the hearing, call 718-521-3333 or write to: LIRR Government and Community Affairs, MTA Long Island Rail Road, Jamaica Station, Jamaica, NY 11435. In addition, customers will be able to record videotaped comments about the proposed changes at the Great Neck Station on Wednesday, August 28 from 4 PM to 8 PM and at the Ronkonkoma Station on Thursday, August 29, from 4 PM to 8 PM.
Barclays Center Is Jumpin' and It's Just A Short Hop from LIRR
The Barclays Center, the hottest entertainment venue in the country according to industry experts, is just a short walk from the LIRR’s Atlantic Terminal and many railroad customers have taken advantage of this convenience since Barclays Center opened last year. Barclays Center will remain a “go to” arena in the coming months and the LIRR is your best, most convenient way there. Here’s a quick look at coming events:
- August 25: MTV Video Music Awards (to avoid traffic tie-ups in the area during the week before and the day of this event, use mass transit)
- August 30-September 1:Caribbean Fever Festival
- September 6: Depeche Mode
- September 7: Fall Out Boy
- September 9: WWE Live
- September 19: Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- September 20: Vampire Weekend
- September 21: Islanders Preseason Game
- September 24:Lionel Richie
- September 27: Atoms for Peace
- September 29: Michael Buble
For schedule information to/from Atlantic Terminal you can always check the LIRR website.
It’s U.S. Open Tennis time once again and the LIRR is your best way to ensure an ace getting to the courts at Flushing Meadows. From August 20 through the finals on September 7 and 8 the railroad will provide half-hourly service or better to the Mets-Willets Point Station, just a short lob from the tennis action. Mets-Willets Point is on the Port Washington Branch. LIRR Main Line customers can easily transfer to the Port Washington Branch at Woodside. Tennis fans can consult the LIRR website for further details.
July overall on-time-performance was 93.31%.
- Google Translate