Take the LIRR to St. Patrick’s Day Parades
If you plan to be ‘wearing the green’ on March 17, the LIRR is the best and safest way to go celebrate….We will provide extra service to the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York City as well as to the Montauk Parade on Sunday, March 20. We will operate nine additional westbound trains to Penn Station March 17 on the Babylon, Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma and Port Washington Branches between 8:41 AM and 10:50 AM. There will also be nine additional eastbound trains from Penn Station following the parade between 2:08 PM and 3:48 PM. Customers are advised not to bring any alcoholic beverages, open or closed, on trains,platforms and stations on March 17, continuing through 4 AM on March 18. Any alcoholic beverages will be confiscated by MTA Police. LIRR bar carts will not be in operation this day.
For the Montauk Parade on March 20, we will operate an additional train departing Jamaica at 8:43 AM, arriving Montauk at 11:42 AM. Three other Montauk trains will have additional cars on March 20. Please note: bicycles will not be permitted on these trains. Alcoholic beverages will not be permitted on LIRR Montauk Branch trains, platforms and stations (from Babylon through Montauk) from 9 AM through midnight, March 20. Any alcoholic beverages observed or found at these facilities will be confiscated by MTA Police. Please celebrate responsibly and be careful when boarding and exiting trains.
Let’s Sail Away (you can bet on that!)
Feel like having a unique adventure while getting away for several hours? Why not check out the LIRR OPUS Casino Cruise Getaway. It’s a fun-filled cruise/gambling adventure that sails twice daily, seven days a week out of Freeport’s "Nautical Mile." The LIRR getaway includes round-trip rail ticket, taxi ride coupons and an OPUS Casino Cruise coupon good for $15 off admission and other goodies. For further information check our website.
Tickets and Refund Policy
A reminder about the LIRR’s new ticket refund policy. One-Way and Round-Trip tickets are now valid for only 14 days, including the date of sale. In addition, a $10 processing fee is charged for each refund transaction.
LI Bus Public Hearing
A public hearing will be held March 23 from 3 PM - 9 PM on proposed changes in service levels for MTA Long Island Bus. The hearing location is Hofstra University’s Adams Playhouse in Hempstead. Register to speak online at www.mta.info or call 718-521-3333.
Port Jeff & Oyster Bay Customers - Meet Our Managers
Our third in a series of popular "Meet The Managers" programs takes place at Penn Station on March 22, from 4 PM to 7 PM. The focus at this session will be the Port Jefferson and Oyster Bay Branches. Top LIRR managers will be on hand to answer your questions directly. We welcome your ideas and comments on how to improve service.
No Train Service Between Freeport and Babylon on Babylon Branch Weekend of April 9-10
There will be no train service between Freeport and Babylon on the weekend of April 9-10 as the LIRR completes a major signal modernization project that will mean more reliable service.
Buses will shuttle Babylon/Montauk Branch customers between Freeport and Babylon, in both directions that weekend, starting at 4 AM on April 9 and continuing until 10 PM on April 10. Customers should anticipate up to 30 minutes additional travel time.
- Eastbound Babylon Branch customers will have regularly scheduled weekend train service to Freeport. Those traveling further east will transfer to buses for service to stations Merrick through Babylon.
- Westbound Babylon Branch customers at stations Babylon through Merrick will board buses to Freeport, then transfer for train service to points west.
Montauk Branch customers can avoid busing by taking one of nine trains that will be routed onto the Main Line via the Central Branch. These nine trains will be highlighted in a special April 9-10 Montauk Branch timetable that will be available to customers prior to the project weekend. Other trains - primarily those that originate or terminate in Patchogue or Speonk - will require a bus connection for service between Babylon and Freeport.
- Eastbound trains to Patchogue and Speonk will depart western terminals 30 minutes earlier than usual. At Freeport, an express bus will bring customers to Babylon for connections with trains to Patchogue and Speonk.
- Westbound trains from Speonk and Patchogue will terminate at Babylon. Customers will be provided with buses from Babylon to Freeport, where they can pick up regularly scheduled train service going to New York.
- Service east of Speonk will not be affected.
Alternate Stations to Avoid Busing
For Babylon Branch customers who wish to avoid busing during the weekend of April 9-10, we recommend driving to alternate IRR stations where train service will operate normally. Here are some possible alternatives:
- Merrick and Bellmore customers: Drive to Freeport for direct train service to NY. There is adequate weekend parking and no weekend parking fees or restrictions. These stations are all in Fare Zone 7.
- Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa and Massapequa Park customers: For direct train service to NY, drive to Bethpage or Hicksville, where parking is available and restrictions are waived on weekends. These stations are all in Fare Zone 7.
- Amityville, Copiague and Lindenhurst (Fare Zone 9) customers: Drive to Wyandanch (Fare Zone 9) or Farmingdale (Fare Zone 7), where parking is available and restrictions are waived on weekends.
- Babylon Station & Bay Shore customers: Drive to Deer Park (Fare Zone 9), where weekend parking is available with no restrictions or fees.
- Islip - Speonk customers: Drive to Brentwood, Central Islip or Ronkonkoma (Fare Zone 10), where there’s plenty of free weekend parking, with no residency requirements.
The Amityville-Wantagh Signal Improvement Project is part of our continuing effort to modernize the LIRR signal system. This upgrade means more reliable service on the LIRR's busiest branch. Special April 9-10 Babylon and Montauk Branch weekend timetables will be available at local stations and western terminals in advance of the work. Please pick up a copy or check our website. For the most up-to-date information throughout the weekend, sign up for LIRR E-alerts and text messages at www.mymtaalerts.com.
February's OTP was 95.0%.
- Google Translate